Major Ideas About College Retention

INTENTION TO PERSIST AND RETENTION OF FIRST-YEAR STUDENTS: THE IMPORTANCE OF MOTIVATION AND SENSE OF BELONGING  was written by JENNIFER ANN MORROW. This article was an attempt to figure to the best way to improve retention rates in colleges. The article states major ideas that are connected with the retention rate. Then these ideas were used to  conduct an experiment. Then using advanced statistics algorithms a study was turned into quantitative statistics information. Allowing others to quickly glance at information in percentages, to form a exception of rejection of hypothesis’. It concluded that a larger factor of retention is the non academic factors. Allowing us to conclude that for college to retain the number of students it want they are going to have to offer non academic actives.   Using the hypothesis’,  background information, and results I gathered the top ten quotes from this article.

 

Top ten quotes from this article are….

  • “Students that reported being more motivated by instrumental goals such as getting a good job and succeeding in society were more likely to intend to persist and those students who didn’t have any distinct goals or motivations to be at the university were less likely to persist.”
  • “Specifically, she found that both social and academic adjustment was related to persisting at that university.”
  • “How connected students feel to their university is an important construct to consider when looking at why students may or may not persist at an institution. Sense of community, or sense of belonging, can be defined as the sense that members of a community feel that they belong and that they matter to one another (McMillian & Chavis, 1996).”
  • “Interaction with members of the college community (faculty and peers) was also related to intention to persist.”
  • “Faculty support had a small, but significant positive relationship with intention to persist at the university.”
  • “It was expected that higher levels of positive motivational attitudes (intrinsic value, instrumental value, personal development) and lower levels of less positive motivational attitudes (external pressures, no better opinion) would be related to intention to persist and second-year retention.”
  • “Only about 48% of college students in the U.S. complete their degree within five years.”
  • “While approximately 35 percent of students depart a university because of academic reasons, the other 65 percent leave a university voluntarily for non-academic reasons.”
  • “Students leave a university for a variety of reasons: academic difficulty, adjustment problems, uncertain goals, lack of commitment, inadequate finances, lack of student involvement, and poor fit to the institution (Tinto, 2001).”
  • “Tinto (1996) reported that over half of all students who depart a university do so prior to their second year of college and that only 60% of students who are enrolled at four-year college actually earn a degree.”

 

MLA FORAT CITATON

MORROW, JENNIFER ANN, and MARGOT E. ACKERMANN. “Intention To Persist And Retention Of First-Year Students: The Importance Of Motivation And Sense Of Belonging.” College Student Journal 46.3 (2012): 483-491. Academic Search Premier. Web. 9 Nov. 2016.

It's only fair to share...Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedIn

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *